The Spike Jorgensen Scholarship
The Spike Jorgensen Scholarship is awarded annually to students from Coalition for Education Equity member school districts who show strong promise to overcome academic, personal, or societal obstacles to excel in his or her chosen area of post-secondary education. Since its inception in 2011, the scholarship has awarded $20,000 to 11 students across the state of Alaska.
This scholarship honors Spike Jorgensen for decades of effective work transforming the educational facilities and programs serving Alaska’s rural students. As the founder of CEAAC, he has contributed significantly to the education, safety, and life fulfillment of many thousands of children. Through this scholarship, CEAAC honors him with sincere gratitude for his leadership.
This year’s scholarship application deadline is March 28, 2018. Renewal applications must be received by June 13, 2018.
List of past winners and school districts
2017 Scholarship Winners
- Lucero Belen Nelson-Loya of Kotzebue
- Shila Marie Rivas of Anchorage School District
2016 Scholarship Winners
- Golga Oscar of Lower Kuskokwin School District
- Kacy Grundhauser of Anchorage School District
2015 Scholarship Winners
- Keri Albrite of Bethel
- Kattie Hoeldt of Aniak
2014 Scholarship Winners
- Kvichak Aspelund of Naknek
- Paige McConnell of Kotzebue
2013 Spike Jorgensen Scholarship Winners
- Christine Rene of St. Mary's School District
- Jacinta Matthias of Kotlik - Lower Yukon School District.