Coalition for Education Equity represents the unified voice of our members, which makes us a strong and powerful advocate. Our membership determines our strategic direction and guides our priorities, which focus on ensuring equitable access to quality public education for all children in Alaska.
Adequate investment in education - Our state must provide adequate investment in Alaska’s public education system and public schools. Work to ensure that education funding is reliable, equitable, and adequate, and that funding decisions are made in a timely manner that enables school districts to plan efficiently and responsibly.
- Continued legislative advocacy for adequate, reliable, equitable funding for Alaska schools and DEED.
- Campaign to inform and educate legislators on impact of increasing operation costs (to include retirement and health care costs).
- Public education and advocacy campaign to increase public awareness of education challenges in the state, and value of education as an investment.
Recruitment and retention of quality educators - Recruiting and retaining quality teachers has a significant impact on student outcomes. Work to increase pathways for locally prepared teachers, reduce the challenges that lead to teacher turnover, and expand the practices that lead great teachers to stay.
- Legislative advocacy for teacher mentoring program funding and policies that address teacher housing.
- Legislative advocacy for statewide solution to educator retirement system.
- Administrative advocacy for policies and practices that increase pathways for locally prepared teachers.
Statewide access to quality pre-elementary programs - Pre-elementary programs are essential to ensuring our children are ready for kindergarten and improving school performance. Work to sustain and expand investment in and access to quality pre-elementary programs, so that all Alaska children have a strong foundation when they start kindergarten.
- Partner with DEED and other education leaders to advocate for sustained investment in statewide quality pre-elementary programs.
- CEEQuity member advocacy to DEED and legislators for pre-elementary dollars to go directly to school districts, with continued support for development and implementation of quality pre-elementary programs.
Capacity of school districts and DEED - Address issues that affect the capacity of our school districts to provide instruction, and the ability of DEED to provide adequate support to our schools.
- Legislative advocacy for reinstatement of debt bond reimbursement and for significant and sustained investment in major maintenance.
School construction and major maintenance - Equitable funding of school construction will ensure all Alaska children have safe facilities in which to learn. Reliable investment in major maintenance will reduce deterioration of schools, and save the state millions of dollars in future full school replacement costs. Work to ensure reliable, adequate, and equitable funding for school construction and major maintenance.
- Conduct advocacy/education campaign to increase public and legislative awareness of need, and lack of resources for addressing social-emotional, safety, well-being needs of students.
- Legislative advocacy for increased investment in DEED.
- Legislative advocacy for statewide broadband access
Community capacity issues affect the ability of children to learn and how schools must allocate resources. School leaders see a need for more community level supports such as social workers, OCS, behavioral health specialists, law enforcement, etc. Highlight these issues and advocate for community level support.
The Coalition for Education Equity acknowledges and supports efforts at diversifying our economy to further sustain our budget revenues, identifying efficiencies in government that do not compromise local control, and the development of alternative fuels and other energy sources to reduce the cost of energy in rural Alaska.